So I started my morning going through my emails. I am getting a ton of end of the year idea emails from authors I enjoy and this is one that caught my eye, Finish Your Year With 3 Simple Questions by Erin Stutland. Here are her questions for journaling:
1. What did you embrace in 2014?
2. What did you finally let go of?
3. What surprised you in 2014?
4. What are you most proud of?
1. What did I embrace in 2014? I embraced me again after 3 years of struggling through my divorce. I embraced that my calling is to share my story of growing up and learning to break my cycles of abuse.
2. What did I finally let go of in 2014? I let go of my worry of how everyone would see me if I shared my pain. I let go of my fear of not being enough. I still struggle with this some days, but I am working on it each time I notice my feelings of shame.
I let go of my dad in 2014. His passing is still settling in with me. I feel at peace that he has passed, but I cannot get my head around the fact that I will never speak to him again. No more late night phone calls where I tell him what part of my world is falling apart or sky rocketing into success.
3. What surprised you in 2014? The loving response I have received from sharing my story. It felt so good to shine a light on my past and write the words and get them out of my head.
4. What am I most proud of? I am most proud of having started writing again. I am so happy I just did it and started putting my thoughts into form. I am so proud that I didn't let my fear of what could happen if I shared my story, stop me from sharing.
I hope you will take a few minutes and think about your answers to these simple questions. It feels good to pull some positive from a very hectic, stressful year.